Friday, September 2, 2016

Welcome to 5th Grade at Cascadia Elementary

My name is Josh Hill and I teaching 5th grade math and science this year. My goal is to create an open conversation about your student’s education so please feel free to contact me with any questions related to school. My contact information is listed below and I prefer email and will try to get back to you as soon as possible. I do have email on my phone and if I have it available can reply after school hours.



I am one of two teachers that will be working as part of a team covering the academic subjects. Nathan Brown will be teaching the humanities and I will be teaching math and science. A short introductory  statement from Mr. Brown is below. We will also be complemented by a fantastic group of art, P.E. and music teachers



I am excited to be working with your child and I look forward to teaching math and science this year. Below is a link to the state websites that shows Washington State Standards. It has a lot of information and is searchable. In Science we are currently transitioning into the Next Generation Science Standards.




Dates to remember:
Meet the Teacher is Thursday, September 1st from 3:00-3:30 PM
Curriculum night September 29th at 6:00 PM
Camp Sealth November 2nd through the 4th


My room number is S306 and please stop by with your student tomorrow during meet the teacher.


Volunteers:


We are going to need chaperones and volunteers for events this year. Please get your paperwork in as soon as possible the deadline for this paperwork is October 15th and the district is not flexible about that date. If you would like to be one of the overnight chaperones for camp, that paperwork is a little different and need to be turned in as soon as possible. Forms will be available during Meet the Teacher, this Thursday. Volunteer Paperwork can be completed in the lunchroom from 1-3:30 p.m.  Remember to bring ID.  If you have a job or hobby that would be relevant to our in-class studies, then we’d love to have you.


School Supplies

We have purchased school supplies for each student, including a binder, planner, composition notebooks, eraser, pencils, pencil pouches, and paper. We are asking for $45 to pay for them and some of this money will go to support other activities such as art, p.e. and the iLab. We should have everything your student needs here, so the only things to think about for day one are below. For the rest of the year, if your student needs refills on things (for example pens or a replacement for things lost or broken) this will be your responsibility. Therefore, once your student is given supplies, it’s his or her responsibility to come prepared every day.



Every day your student needs:
  • Water bottle
  • Their binder with pens and pencils (homework inside)
  • Book to read
  • Healthy Snack





Room Parents:
Room Parents are vital to helping me coordinate volunteer needs for the classroom and with planning and support of parties and other classroom events. If this is something you're interested in, please look here for more details and to sign up:
http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0f49acad2caa8-201617
   
My background is in business and design so I hope to bring real world situations to every class period. I feel this helps students to make connections to their future. I have my masters in teaching from Willamette University in Oregon and am licensed to teach, elementary education and both math and science at the middle school level. I spend much of my off time with my family but do enjoy traveling and seeing the world. Last year I became Dive Certified and look forward to exploring the world’s water.



Please check out my blog regularly for classroom updates, student work and current events. The address is http://rooms306.blogspot.com. Not only do I post weekly but have sections with resources you can use to support learning. Thank you for this opportunity to work with your child and I look forward to hearing from you.


Joshua Hill
jdhill@seattleschools.org
206.252.5914, ext. 2-5802




Nathan Brown:
I am excited to join team Dragon, to meet all of you, and to collaborate with the teachers here at Cascadia. I am stoked to teach humanities this year, as I am very passionate about creativity and the mediums we use to communicate. Outside of teaching, I play Ultimate Frisbee, spend time with my girlfriend and her 8-year-old son, read, and sip on delicious cups of coffee. I also dabble in photography, filmmaking, drawing, and writing when inspired. Please feel free to get in touch with me using the contact information below. I can’t wait to get the year started!
Nathan Brown
ntbrown@seattleschools.org
206.252.5914, ext. 2-5803

No comments:

Post a Comment